Dear Leopard Families,
This past weekend our School Advisory Board met for our first time for the 16-17 school year. After a few ground rules and formalities, and by the end of the meeting we elected by acclamation tentatively Khan to be our first SAB Chairperson for this school year. We also selected the following dates for our meetings at 10:00 a.m on December 10, February 11 and May 13
We enjoyed a spirited and healthy discussions on the following topics:
1. Canteen: There are some concerns about the health food options. Parents need to pack lunches if they are concerned as we continue to explore ways to make our choices for our students better, healthier, while still being affordable.
2. Bathrooms: We talked about the bathrooms and whether or not they are being cleaned. We also talked about the use of Arab showers. Rest assured that students have complete access to these showers. Students are mostly using them responsibly. Also the custodians are cleaning on an hourly basis.
3. Timing for school: We talked about the school day about starting and ending times. We concluded that the start and end dates are probably as good as it can get at present.
4. 1 to 1 Laptop Plan for 2017-18: We are going to make mandatory the idea that all students from grade 5-12 have their own laptop for work in our school next year. Laptops have become an indispensable tool for students in school. Our school is no different.
5. Screenagers: This is a documentary about the use of screen time and the idea of how dangerous this can be for our youngsters. Please join us for the showing of this important showing of this film on November 17 at 3:30 p.m. just after the Parent Teacher Conferences.
6. Tutor Help After School: This is an annual problem for students and families. We are setting up peer helper sessions during school time with the help of NHS and NJHS. These recess help times will be posted next week. We are also working on “Homework Clubs”. These clubs would meet to get extra help in the major subjects of English, Math, Science, and Social Science.
7. Orientation: Parents new to the school sometimes feel that they and their children are not getting the attention they feel necessary to become oriented to our school. Suggestions included: clearer messaging on the website, an orientation seminar, a day in school for new students without the rest of the school up and running. These are all good ideas that we will take to the administrative team for consideration.
8. Maker Space: Our school is invited to take part in a KSA educational program that brings 21st century learning to the students of Saudi Arabia. Out first project will be 3D printing course to take place at our school in the near future.
9. Please note that the municipality has begun some work on the street next to the school. This will snarl traffic a little for a couple of weeks.
A note about SCREENAGERS the film. ISG Dammam will show this film tentatively scheduled for Nov. 17 at 3:30 directly following the Parent / Teacher Conferences. The video lays out the case for vigilant parental supervision of students and what they are seeing on line, the hours in front of a screen and the impact this all has on them as adolescents.
Watch the trailer here: www.screenagersmovie.com
And Lastly: The district is asking for your input. I am sending this email to you regarding the 16/17 admission survey for new parents/families to our school only. Below is the link to a short survey of approximately 10 questions.